BY SUCH DEEDS
Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force 1923-1999
By Gp Capt C. M. Hanson, OBE, RNZAF (Rtd)
A virtual Who’s Who
77 years of RNZAF history
(contains over 3300 name
An indispensable record for
Medal Collectors, Genealogists,
608 A4 pages (includes colour section) + quality
+ sewn binding
hard cover with full colour dustjacket + name index
Typical entries include in Part Two (486 pages) include:-
- The Badge of the Royal New Zealand Air Force
- The Queen’s Colour for the Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Regal Appointments
- Governors-General and Commanders-in-Chief
- Air Advisers, Directors of Air Services, Chiefs of Air Staff
- Part 1 - Honours and Awards (including Foreign Awards) -
- Part 2 - Honours and Awards (including Foreign Awards) to members
Royal New Zealand Air Force 1923-1999
- Part 3 - Chief of Air Staff Commendations to Members of the Royal
- Part 4 - Honours, Awards and Commendations to Members of other
Services and to Civilians who have been of service to the Royal New
- Part 5 - Honours and Awards to Members of Commonwealth Air Forces
to the Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Part 6 - Honours and Awards to Members of the Forces of the
of America for Service to the Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Honorary Commissions
WITH A FOREWORD by His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, By
Deeds is the result of 11 years painstaking research into the
and awards to over 3200 RNZAF servicemen and women. It forms an
reference for Service Personnel, Historians, Medal Collectors,
- Full name.
- Honours and awards bestowed.
- Service number(s).
- Place and date of birth.
- Dates of service (including pre- and post-RNZAF military service).
- Honours and awards won prior to entry into the RNZAF.
- Full citation, where available, or an explanatory note as to why
or award was made.
- Brief career highlights.
By Such Deeds is a virtual Who’s Who of the RNZAF and
provides a unique insight into 77 years of RNZAF history and its
Brought together for the first time is a vast amount of information -
half-a-million words in some 600 pages.
All known honours and awards, including foreign, are recorded, from
the VC to mentions in despatches, commendations for brave conduct and
service in the air, Pathfinder Force badges, etc. Also presented are
of Air Staff Commendations.
Honours and awards won prior to entry into the RNZAF are also
Where citations are not available the author backgrounds why the award
The introductory part of By Such Deeds describes the
honours and awards and is accompanied by colour illustrations.
What the readers say
“...One can only be staggered by the amount of work that must have
into producing such an accurate record...it is always informative and
(John Barry, Pacific Wings)
“...lavishly produced and very comprehensive volume which will be a
boon to researchers and a wonderful keep-sake for those who
(Graham Orphan, Classic Wings)
“...This volume oozes quality, both in production and content, and
interested in airmen of the Commonwealth air forces will find it
reading. By sheer bulk alone it is good value; the content almost makes
it a bargain...” (Philip Jarrett, Aeroplane)
Back to Items for Sale